Hi everyone! So today I felt like doing a CD review, but I didn’t know what CD to do that review on! I finally decided to do one on Oxygen by Avalon, one of my favorite Christian albums of all time. Even though it was released in 2001, Oxygen has some terrific songs that, in my opinion, still sound modern and fresh today.
Let’s get started on the review, shall we?
1. Wonder Why-A terrific song to start off the album with. Janna and Jody’s voices are both so powerful here!
2. The Best Thing-Another great song….I love the harmonies between Michael and Cherie here! 😀 When I first heard this song, I remember thinking that some of the lyrics sounded kind of silly (“it’s like I’m flying with my feet on the ground”, for example). But the more I listened to it, the more I liked it! It’s definitely one of my favorite tracks on the whole CD.
3. By Heart, By Soul-OK, let me start off by saying that I just love Michael’s voice! Every time I hear it, my heart seriously skips a beat. It’s so smooth-sounding and calming, and just amazing!! So I was really happy to hear that he took the lead in this one. The only thing I don’t like about this song is that Aaron Neville is in it. (He’s a pretty well-known singer who does all kinds of music, including Christmas songs and gospel stuff.) Unlike Michael, I really don’t care for the way his voice sounds…it’s just really quivery and stuff. But on the other hand, I do think it’s cool how they had a “guest voice” on this song!
4. Undeniably You-If I had to pick just one favorite song off of this album, this is probably the song I would choose. I love it so much!! When I first heard it on YouTube, I kept playing it over and over….it was that good. 😉 Cherie does an outstanding job singing this song, and the background vocals are great too.
5. I Don’t Want to Go-Well, it sure wouldn’t be an Avalon album without the famous “Janna ballad”, and this happens to be the ballad she sings in Oxygen. This song is really good, even though it’s on the long side. And man, Janna sure can sing! My favorite part of the song is the last time that Janna sings the chorus, just because her voice sounds SO amazing and powerful there.
6. Never Givin’ Up-I think I’ve only listened to this song once or twice, so I don’t have much to say about it. But I do really like it!
7. Make It Last Forever-Another one of my very favorite tracks! This song is really upbeat and reminds me a lot of Jump5. 🙂 I love the bridge in this song….whatever instrument they use in it (a violin, maybe?) just sounds so pretty.
8. The Glory-An absolutely terrific song that is also a favorite of mine. The harmonies on this track are just AMAZING!
9. Oxygen-I wasn’t sure how I felt about this song at first, but now after listening to it a few more times, I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! And don’t even get me started on Michael’s voice here…..oh my gosh, it gives me chills. 🙂 And I love the harmonizing done here too.
10. Love Remains-I haven’t heard too much of this song yet, but what I have heard isn’t bad. And I’m really glad Jody sings this track. I feel like Michael has had more “solo time” on this album, which (as much as I love his voice) is a shame because Jody’s a talented singer, too. 🙂
11. Come and Fill My Heart-A great way to close out the album. It does remind me a little of I Don’t Want to Go, but that’s fine. 🙂
Bonus Track-Beyond the Clouds-A “bonus track” in the deluxe version of this album. This song is pretty good, it’s too “pop”-ish for my taste, but there’s something about it that I do like.
Well, I hope you enjoyed reading my Oxygen review! If there’s any CD, book, movie, or anything else (like one of my AG dolls? 😉 )that you’d like me to review, let me know and I’ll do my very best to answer your request. (Hey, that rhymed!) Or if you’d like to write your own review on something, just send it to me at the address on my “email me” page, and I’ll post your review sometime. 🙂
Bye for now!